Are Microformats worth the effort for SEO?
One example the site offers is marking up events online with microformats.
But I’m not convinced microformats is the way to go.
- They are confusing
- They require extra markup
- They misuse the class attributge
- There are better alternatives
- They aren’t manageable
At Gunner Technology, we like to give our clients the option to manage what we build for them. It’s easy for use to integrate microdata into our CMS, but not somuch with microformats. To ask our clients to understand what it is and apply it to their content is too much of a challenge.
With HTML5, I see search engines turning focus to microdata and deprecating microformats.
Related articles by Zemanta
- Using HTML5 Microdata on Your Web Site (kinlane.com)
- Real World Embedded Metadata – RDFa, Microformats And Microdata Practical Examples | SpyreStudios (spyrestudios.com)
- Move over Basic Search Results, Rich Snippets are here (antezeta.com)
- Google adds support for hCalendar and hRecipe Rich Snippets (microformats.org)